Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Jan Fed The Hens

Jan fed the hens. JAN FED THE HENS!!! No matter how I read it, this sentence is basically meaningless... unless I am Jan & have some really hungry hens to feed (ironically, my children are begging for a snack right now-ha!).
BUT when my almost 5 year old read these words in her first sentence today, I wanted to scream it from the ROOFTOPS! YES! Jan fed those hens!!!! We did it! She is learning to read & by golly... I TAUGHT HER!!!!

We began our homeschooling adventure this year & I convinced myself that it was best for our kids, so I would learn to love it. Let me just tell you that most days that we get through a full day, I do feel great! However, believe it or not, there are usually about 3 days of the week that we DON'T get it all done & I feel like all I want to do is send my kids to "real school".

I live for the good days, though. I see my life as a homeschooling mom right now like "The Little Engine That Could". If I tell myself I can, it will turn out ok... probably. I think I can (teach her to read). I think I can (get through til naptime). I think I can (be patient). But the moment I say I can't do it anymore, the day falls apart. It's similar to the days that all I announce is "how overwhelmed" I am by our life. Well, tough cookies, momma! This is your life. I think I can... and I AM... learning to LOVE IT!

I just read an interview today where a mom of four said the most generalized idea about large families is that "we all homeschool". I think the most generalized idea about large, homeschooling families is that we all WANT to. I teach my children because I know it is what is best for our family right now. I teach our children because we cannot afford private school. I teach our children because we will not ever send them to public school. I teach our children because today... JAN FED THE HENS!

No comments:

Post a Comment