Pages

Friday, June 13, 2014

Easton's BIRTH- Part 1


Easton’s Birth Story
Part 1

I was certain that I would go into labor at 39 weeks. Positively certain. So, after 38 weeks, 39 weeks, 40 weeks, and this blog post… I was still pregnant. 

I had taken maternity photos, done a belly cast, had henna painted, processed through all my previous births, and enjoyed every last moment of my pregnancy. My house had been cleaned, the bassinet was ready, and my birth kit was waiting in my bedroom. I was literally just waiting for baby!



After weeks of start & stop contractions and prodromal labor, I had our midwife strip my membranes at my 40-week appointment on Tuesday. My dad was leaving town early Thursday morning, and my midwife would be out of town over the upcoming weekend. I was feeling anxious, even though there was nothing I could do. If I didn’t have a baby soon, it was not going to go as planned. 

If you know me at all… you know I like everything to go as planned. 
Also, if you know me at all, you know that in my life 
nothing ever goes as I planned. 

So, I had to just trust that God had a plan for this birth, and that it would be the perfect timing for both baby & I.



I knew typically if stripping the membranes were going to start labor that would usually happen within 24-48 hours. So when nothing had happened by Thursday morning I was pretty convinced nothing was going to happen any time soon. I had been having contractions, but they would never pick up in intensity or get any closer. So, I called my mom to come over on Thursday morning to go walk with the kids & I somewhere. I figured I might as well help baby settle into the best position possible. As all birth educators and doulas know, walking is an excellent way to do that!


Another little glitch in my plan was that I had planned on having a friend photograph our birth. It was one of those “birth bucket list” things that was really important to me if this were to be our last. Well, Wednesday afternoon I saw on Facebook that our photographer had the flu. I couldn’t have a sick person come into my home when I’m giving birth! So, I called another photographer friend, Valerie. She & I had jokingly talked about having her as a backup in case I go so fast that the other photographer couldn’t make it. She said she would be good to go as my backup as long as I didn’t go into labor that day. 
“Cross your legs until 9pm” 
Those were her exact words to me. I was pretty sure that wouldn’t be a problem. I was convinced that this baby wasn’t coming anytime soon.


Michael was working from home that day. I had the kids pick up the house “just in case”. My mom came over, and we decided to go to the park. As I was getting ready, I just felt kind of crampy. The cramps weren’t coming in waves or regularly. I just felt weird. 

At the park we walked… and walked… and walked. I was having a few Braxton Hicks contractions, but nothing big. We went home to have lunch. That afternoon the contractions stopped all together. I knew they would. I was expecting them too! So, after the kids took naps, I had Michael come with the kids & I on a walk around our neighborhood. Things started up again. This time the cramping & Braxton Hicks seemed to be alternating. I was pretty sure it would still be a couple days, but again, “just in case”, I sent Michael & our oldest to their baseball game that evening while my mom came over to stay with me. We cleaned up a little and made sure the important areas of the house were ready. I was having a few more random contractions, but again nothing big or regular.

That night, after Michael had come home, my mom was playing checkers with the older kids after their baths. I went upstairs to put our 2 year old to bed. Around 8:30, as I nursed him (bucket list… nursing through pregnancy), inhaling my relaxing essential oils, I started having a couple stronger contractions. It was pretty normal for me to contract while nursing as it produces Oxytocin, which is the hormone that starts contractions. However, usually they would stop and never go anywhere. At 9:00 he was snoring on our bed, and I had another strong contraction. 

Valerie had said not until 9… 
our midwife was in town...
but my dad was in California. 
I tried not to think about that part.

Michael came in to check on us, and I told him I was having contractions. He had just sent my mom home. Everyone was in bed & I was, as usual, in denial.





At 11:00, I decided this could be something. I was having good, strong contractions, but they still weren’t in a very good pattern. They were about every 4-8 minutes and only 30-45 seconds long. During my last labor, the shower was really helpful for me to determine if labor was real or false. So, I thought perhaps that would help me determine if this was real labor or not. Into the shower I went… within moments, I was uncomfortable & the contractions were simply unbearable. Then, I thought maybe I should eat something & drink a bunch of water. These contractions seemed way more intense than usual for early labor.

By 11:30 I was 75% sure that this was the real thing. I had Michael make me eggs & I sent a text to our midwife, Jessica, as well as our doula/friend/birth assistant, Teresa. I let them know I was pretty sure I was in early labor still, but that the contractions were more intense than last time. Michael also sent my mom a text, which I’m so glad he did. Around 12 I began to have to stop talking and focus a little more on the rushes that were coming. My mom came around this time in case any of the kids woke up. Jessica called Miranda, her student midwife. Both of them, as well as Teresa, were heading my way. They knew how fast I usually go once I get into active labor, so we all felt most comfortable having them close by. At this point contractions were picking up to every 3-6 minutes.





No comments:

Post a Comment