Pages

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A very big day...


Yesterday was a big day!
It was the long-awaited appointment for our son with the alternative doctor. 
I stayed up late Sunday night typing up his 3-day food diary, a chronological history of his life including (but not limited to) symptoms, and a page with our main concerns & goals. 
I woke up yesterday morning with a migraine, but brushed it off as best as I could because 
I couldn’t let anything else distract me. 
This day was about my sweet boy.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous. We had opinions on a “diagnosis”, but nothing from anyone we actually wanted to work with. This doctor, in our opinion, was the expert on kids behavior disorders & treating them holistically, as opposed to medically. To be going to her and getting what was, in our opinion, the real diagnosis… definitely scary, but exciting.

We sat in her office, talking about his life. When she asked about vaccinations, and I told her about the reactions he had at 2,4,6 months& again at 15 months (the usual DTap, MMR, Chicken Pox) she said… “Wow! Youguys are so lucky he isn’t completely autistic!” 
*Especially considering the antibiotic he was put on at that same 15 month appointment 
for an ear infection. Talk about a compromised immune system!

At one point I was starting to feel really guilty, and I just felt my son lean his head on my shoulder, 
as if to say, “It’s ok mommy”
Then she started on what we’ve been doing to deal with the struggles. We took away Gluten, most sugars, all dyes; we give him lavender or an Essential Oils blend called “Peaceful Child” at least 2 or 3 times a day; we give him chamomile drops in his water twice a day. That’s when I started to feel ok.

She was so relieved that we weren’t started from ground zero with him. 
She commended us for going with our gut when we suspected Gluten intolerance. 
She was impressed with our use of oils & herbs. 
She was extremely pleased with the reduced sugars and dyes, 
telling us this is usually shocking news to most parents. 
PHEW! What a relief! 

Sometimes you just need a good pat on the back! Sometimes, as a mom, you need to hear someone other than your husband tell you you’re making the right choices. 
I knew we had been doing good things, but it often felt like just a whirlwind of options that all 
could be right for our son.  
When you’re in the middle of a storm and the rain is blowing sideways, 
it’s hard to tell if you’re umbrella’s working or not… IT’S ALL SO WET! 
So, basically we found out that our umbrellas were working!

What is going on? Well we were right that our son does have Autism Spectrum Disorder
He also has ADHD. I was a little shocked by this, because he is not outwardly hyperactive. He has trouble sitting still and is very boisterous, but I know ADHD kids & it didn’t look like my son. 
The way she explained it was genius. 

His ADHD all takes place inside. 
He is never at rest. So much that all his body’s systems are moving at such a fast-paced rate that they aren’t processing things properly. His digestive system is a wreck, because his body is essentially heating up everything as it passes through due to such rapid activity.

We are treating him with herbs, supplements, digestive enzymes & probiotics… right down my alley! 

I cannot wait to see what God has in store for this little guy. 
He is overflowing with potential, and we are just using natural remedies 
to help his body begin to heal it self. 
Our goal is to help him succeed in life, 
with as few struggles as possible…
For now that means I have 4 boxes on my counter dividing his drops & supplements 
by morning, evening, bedtime, mealtimes. 
A little overwhelming, but I am really looking forward to the 
journey we are starting right now!

Keep following Everyday Is Laundry Day for updates on our ASD/ADHD journey…

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to what you are going through. My name is Marissa and my friend Tracy Lybarger told me about you and your little boy. I too am having trouble with my
    3 ½ year old little boy. My son has extreme meltdowns, can’t sit down for more than a few minutes at a time, anxiety around a lot of people and has trouble sleeping during the night. If you have any tips or ideas to try, I would love to hear from you. I have been doing a lot of reading and came across something called sensory processing disorder. I have tried doing things they have suggested and I have seen a difference in him. This might be something worth reading up on.

    ReplyDelete