Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

Where We Are


Today I am writing from the laundry room. It is also the pantry. It is also the room where all the crap hangs out... in many forms... the diaper pail is straight across from me!
Needless to say, I'm feeling quite inspired this morning!

So, last week we were struggling. I was feeling a little hopeless with this new regimen for our 4 year old, finishing up our homeschool year, our 7 year old beginning the craziness of baseball season, working on my childbirth educator certification... the list could go on. These are all things I feel we are supposed to be doing. I was just feeling stretched!

Then Wednesday happened. I can't explain it. Our 4 year old just woke up in a great mood!
That NEVER happens!
He was sweet, patient, kind; the little boy I hadn't seen in quite a while.
It was an amazing day. We had a few little meltdowns, but I was able to talk him through it! I stuck with the normal routine. I didn't push the little things, as usual, like socks or matching clothes. He even ASKED to do school!
Again let me remind you...
THAT NEVER HAPPENS!

I tried not to get my hopes up, but I definitely enjoyed the day.
I was expecting an absolutely awful day on Thursday.
It couldn't happen again...
But it did!!!
Then it happened again on FRIDAY!

Please understand, these are not perfect days. These are not even "normal kid" kinda days. But I can honestly say that he was on HIS best behavior about 75% of the time.
HIS best is all I'm shooting for at this point! Any glimmer of hope is accepted!

Weekends are always rough, especially if there's anything out of the ordinary. This last Saturday we had a birthday party... which I have to always prepare myself for the aftermath. He did really great. His usual 15 minutes at a time with the other kids would be followed by another 15 minutes inside by himself. It was a normal party for him. However, what was also normal for us was the exit. I am so glad we were with friends who understand! haha! We left that party with a moaning 4 year old draped across my shoulder.

Then we had church the next morning...

So I say all of this as a precursor for this morning. Today, no one woke up in a good mood, in particular a little 4 year old I know. 30 minutes ago, I'm in the bathroom with kids screaming outside the door:
"I want juice!" "I want breakfast!"
The 1 year old was chanting my name:
"Ma-ma! Ma-ma! Ma-ma!"

It was like before a football game when the players run onto the field... the fog, the lights, the fans chanting their names...
Except I certainly do not get paid like that!

Today, I am getting paid in poopy diapers, time outs, math worksheets, a whole lot of dirty laundry, & hopefully a really big coffee.
No judgements.
It's just where we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment