Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

Momma Monday- sunny days

I'm back! It's been a week of a much-needed "catch-up" on summer school for my first grader!

So, back to MOMMA MONDAYS... & Holy Moly! It sure is hot! We've been just sweating for a few weeks here in Missouri & while I hate to be gross, I also love to have exhausted children. hahaha!

It has brought to my mind one GENIUS thought that I'm not sure every momma grasps. I learned with my first 3 children the importance of playing outside (especially for boys)!

The first 2 years we were married, we also had 2 babies a year apart & lived in an apartment. Sometime around my oldest's 1st birthday, I noticed that the days we walked up to the playground & he was able to be in the sunshine, getting his boyish energy out... he was happier, healthier, & slept better! I had remembered my mother sending my little brothers outside to "just run"! Haha! It all began to make sense!

They have so much energy! I make my kids go out even in the fall & winter in jackets/coats unless it's freezing cold. Their bodies need an outlet. That outlet is definitely not my walls, couches, their beds or their siblings! Ha! Obviously the sunny days are more fun...

Not to mention, sunshine is so good for them! It makes even the crankiest kid a little more enjoyable. The vitamin D alone is worth it for me! Our bodies need vitamin D to fight off sickness & infection! For more on that topic see Dr. Mercola's articles on the topic here.
And don't forget your sunscreen! But make sure you know the facts. Just because it's on the shelves at Target, doesn't mean you should blindly use it! This article from EWG is an excellent resource, plus they have a search for cosmetics & other environmentally & personally safe personal or baby products.

A couple of my other favorite reasons for my kiddos going outdoors...
do a little research on "grounding". I have always been a friend of barefeet, but after reading more about it, I'm sending my kids outside in nothin but their toesies a little more often. The Mommypotamus has a great blog post on that HERE!

I also just love fresh air! Have you ever been so stressed & had one of those mommy days? Then when your husband gets home you either...
A. Take a bath
B. leave to get caffeine
C. Step out on the front porch for a little bit

That fresh air is so helpful! It is calming, stress-relieving, & life-giving! I love it!!

Anyway... just a few thoughts on how AWESOME it is to get your kiddos out this summer & every day! Enjoy the weather wherever you rockin mommas are... hot, mild, whatever!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, the earthing article is fascinating! I had never heard of that before.

    ReplyDelete