Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

Friday Top Ten... room cleaning edition

It's Friday Top Ten!

Today, the top ten reasons my children give as to why they cannot clean their rooms:

10. I'm tired

9. I need help

8. I didn't make that mess

7. It's not that messy

6. I'm thirsty

5. I have to go potty

4. It's too messy

3. I'm hungry

2. I already picked up

1. My knee hurts

What?! Oh, my children... it's Friday. That means those rooms are getting cleaned!

(enter mommy with trash bags & a coffee)

(bursting into tears to follow by children)

I absolutely do not like "room cleaning day". It usually ends with me frustrated, the little kids unloading all the things we are picking up & the big kids crying. How do you mommy's handle room clean-up? Any special tips or tricks that save the day?

3 comments:

  1. A trash bag and a coffee is a pretty good start! I usually try and start small, like I'll say, ok we're going to pick up all the dirty laundry, then we move on to actual trash, then we work on toys that all have a location they belong in , i.e. dolls, toy dishes, books, games, cars, trains. by the end we are left with things that do not belong in the rooms and need to be moved to their proper location. if I give them small and specific tasks, the process goes smoother, but I have heard every excuse as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oy, this is us today. I just put everyone to bed. Tired of the whining and excuses for now. We do much the same as Melissa, small tasks. Also, music helps. And sometimes I'll do "three minute clean up" where everyone does as much as they can in 3 minutes. Something about hearing me call out the time is motivating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also given small specific tasks and timer games, but mostly I have the same experience as you. :-)

    ReplyDelete