Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

What Makes You Smile

I just have to let you mommas know... I am so in love with my babies right now! It is my favorite thing in the world when my kids are happy... no matter what that is!

My oldest waits for the monthly Lego magazine to come. When it gets here, I love to secretly act like there's nothing for him in the mail & then say, "oh hey... does that say YOUR name on it?" haha! He sits for hours & does Legos! Then he proudly brings them down to show us his creation! I love seeing him so proud!

My oldest daughter LOVES to dance! Today was her first night of dance for the new school year. She twirled & tapped & practiced positions all day long. She laid out her leotard, tights, shoes, and tutu after breakfast! She dressed her American Girl doll in HER ballet outfit! I could watch her dance all day... she was made to be a dancer!!

My middle son has never been happier than when we were at the beach. He was so free! He still asks me when we can go back... I would take him tomorrow if I could! He also is a gifted child. He has a musical gifted-ness that permeates every second of his day. He writes music & plays drums on EVERYTHING! It might be loud, but the smile on his face says it all!!!

My 2 year old just wants to sit on my lap (or daddy's) as we chat! We could read, paint her toesies, sing a song... as long as its on our lap she's a happy girl! It's such precious time!!!

And of course Mr. 9month old... everything we do makes him happy. The sweetest smile in THE WORKD comes after a post-nap nursing. He looks at me, pats my chest & just sighs while we say I love you- through our eyes only! :)

These are the things that make my children come alive! As a mom, we want to do everything for them & give them all they want. Not only is that a financial strain, but it becomes hard as they get older to keep sweet, "non-bratty" kids when they've never had to be told no!

I've learned to deal with it by talking to them a lot about "what makes you happy". The important thing is to stay open to this changing as they get older, but that they can start to recognize a sense of satisfaction & belonging when they do or see a certain thing! We don't just "DO" sports or activities at our house for the sake of being busy. We focus on one or two things that bring life to their hearts!

How do you handle your kids "wanting it all" or wanting to do everything? Do you let them? Do you put limitations?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, well said! "don't just "DO" sports or activities at our house for the sake of being busy... focus on one or two things that bring life..." We all need to remember this, even just for ourselves as adults!

    ReplyDelete